We can agree that content marketing for the cannabis industry is a bit weird... (thank you captain obvious!) It is an industry that has to deal with years of anti-cannabis propaganda. One whose customers are, by and large, still vastly uninformed. It is an industry with real people. People with personal stories who have very personal reasons for buying a product that is, sadly still, by and large illegal...
That is also why it is an industry filled with people who want a personal relationship and who need to trust you and your brand before they will buy into what you are selling.
So... exactly how do you, as a cannapreneur, address these needs and give your customers what they want…?
You do this by having your content marketing message get personal...
In other words, your strategy should focus on providing insights and information that solve your clients’ problems instead of getting all sales-y on them and pushing your product.
This strategy guarantees to cultivate customers and keep them coming back to you by establishing a personal relationship. Just like you, they will be in it for the long haul because you have gained their trust and showed the value and expertise of your brand.
Enter content marketing…
“Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.”
Now go back and read that definition again… Do you see those two words “valuable” and “relevant”? That is where you come in. What do you offer that is valuable and relevant to your customer? What problem do you solve for them? What do you offer that your competitors don’t?
So how do you get a good content marketing strategy together? Here are seven tips to get you started:
- Identify your target audience/ideal client and know what makes them tick.
- Create a marketing strategy that targets those clients and their needs.
- Create and promote valuable and relevant information and content that is specific to those needs.
- Map your content to each stage of the buying process – from creating leads and creating buying opportunities, to customer creation and retention.
- Drive web traffic to your site that generates leads by having a blog and posting regularly.
- Have a call to action that generates leads. This can be anything from special offers to sign up forms.
- Follow up those leads and stay engaged. Build relationships and trust with potential customers by realising that interest does not equal being buying ready. Nurture potential customers by providing consistent and relevant information through each stage of the buying process.
Simply put, your focus should be to “sell” the solution to a problem and not the product itself. Ultimately, we like to work with people that we like and trust and your content should inspire exactly that. The strategy is a more long-term one than straight up selling, but so too are the customer relationships you cultivate along the way.
About Lieze Boshoff
Lieze, founder of LB Cannabis Content & Copy is a Cannabis Copywriter & Content Creator that mixes her knowledge of the cannabis industry and psychology with marketing strategies to write content and copy that attracts, engages, converts and retains.
Let her help you and your cannabis business establish its brand authority and grow market share. Contact her here for a free consultation.
LET'S GET SOCIAL!